South Shields FC History
South Shields was formed as it is today, in 1974. The former chairman, Martin Ford, reformed the club after it was sold to Gateshead United.
The club went 17 years without a home ground. In 1994 South Shields moved to Filtrona Park and has played there since.
In 1999 the club was to face its most trying time of its history. Chairman, John Rundle, publicly threatened to fold the club if it was relegated from the Northern League. Even though the club did get relegated in the 1999/2000 season the chairman had a change of heart after the clubs supporters stuck by the club.
Again, in 2006, Rundle planned to fold the club but after a meeting with the supporters, the club was saved.
The Mariners are now run by vice chairman, Gary Crutchwell, secretary Phillip Reay, assistant secretary, Dick Bailey and Brinley Griffiths.
Against the odds and the deduction of six league points which were incurred from the previous management team, new manager Mick Taylor and his brother Joe as his assistant together with some new players fought off the threat of relegation and kept South Shields status In the Northern League secure.
David Milliband then became the honorary president of South Shields and dropped in to offer his support to the club.
During the 2006/2007 season the manager Mick Taylor and his brother Joe left the club in a healthy position. Gary Steadman was promoted from player coach to manager with Tony Gibson, a previous South Shields FC manager, came in as his assistant. Leading the division for most of the season South Shields FC ended up in fourth position just missing out on promotion.
The 2007 / 2008 season Mr Gary Crutwell was appointed chairman.
The following season was planned to stabilise the club in the first division and they were successful finishing 19th.
In 2009 / 2010 the team put together a great run in the league cup, winning the final against Ashington on penalties. The first silverware the club has ever won in the Northern League.
Jarrow Roofing History
Jarrow Roofing was formed for the 1987-88 season by current chairman Richard McLoughlin. The team first played in the South Tyne Senior League.
However, after their first season in the league, it broke up and Roofing moved to the Tyneside Amateur League.
During their time in the Amateur League they won the Bill Dixon Cup and the League Challenge Shields. They were also runners-up in the Gateshead Charity Shields and the League.
In 1991 Jarrow moved to the Wearside League after developing their new ground at Boldon C.A. Sports Club. At the end of the season Roofing were promoted to division two as runners-up. Marske were crowned champions but did not have the acquired ground facilities to be promoted.
The following season, Jarrow were promoted to division one, in their first attempt, as joint league leaders. They also won the Craven Cup the same year.
The club spent ten years in division one before being relegated in the 2007-08 season. Jarrow Roofing is now back in the top division and hope to stay there.
The main sponsor for the club is Richard McLoughlin, the Managing Director of Jarrow Roofing Co. He built the ground himself after using spare pieces of scrap and the machinery from his work.
Richard shows no sign of retiring as he still finds a passion for the game and wants to keep Jarrow in the division.
Whitley Bay History
Whitley Bay was founded in 1986.
From 1950 until 1955, Whitley Bay Athletic were members of the Northern Alliance League, in-which the club had a great run of success, during those five seasons they won the League Championship, the League Cup (twice), and in 1952/53 they became the first amateur team to win the Northumberland Senior Cup in sixty-years, beating North Shields in front of 17,000 fans inside St James Park.
During the 1960s Whitley Bay became one of the best amateur clubs in the country. They won the Northern League title in 1964/65 and 1965/66, as well as the League Cup in 1964/65. Whitley Bay also won the Northumberland Senior Cup six times in the space of 10 years, and they were also runners up on another occasion.
It was in the Amateur cup, the predecessor of the F.A. Trophy that they rose to national prominence, twice reaching the semi-finals and the quarter-finals four times.
The early 1970s saw Whitley Bay’s success continue, with more silverware to be won, winning the League Cup in 1970/71, and the County Cup also in 1970/71 and again in 1972/73. With the demise of amateur football, the club’s fortunes took a nosedive, culminating in them having to re-apply to the League in 1979/80.
In 1987–88, Whitley Bay were looking likely to become champions of the Northern League for most of the campaign, unfortunately a bad run of injuries halted Whitley Bay’s chances and later prevented them from winning the league. With the clubs’ progress and success increasing rapidly, there was an agreement, and the club decided to apply to join the H.F.S. Loans League, an application that proved successful.
In recent history the club has been one of the most successful amateur teams in the country, winning the F.A. Vase in 2002, 2009 and 2010.
Bedlington Terriers History
The club was founded in 1949 as Bedlington Mechanics and joined the Northern Combination League.
The team won its first trophy in 1954 when they were victorious in the Northumberland Minor Cup. The following season the club was crowned champions of the Northern Combination League.
The club then joined the Northern Alliance League as Bedlington Colliery Welfare. The team won the Northern Alliance League Cup in 1958 before disbanding in 1963.
The club was reformed in 1965 and rejoined the Northern Alliance League. In the 1966–67 season, the team won two trophies when they became the Northern Alliance league champions and cup winners, but dropped out of the league in 1971.
In 1982, the club became one of the founding members of the Northern League Division Two. Promotion to Division One was achieved in 1985, but the club remained there for just two seasons before being relegated in 1987.
By 1993, the club was at the bottom of Division Two and in serious danger of going out of business, but was saved by the financial support of local businessmen Dave and Keith Perry. The club was also renamed as Bedlington Terriers.
With the club now financially stable, instant success followed on the pitch, and the club became champions of Division Two in their first season under their new name.
The club had a memorable season in 1998–99, defeating Colchester United 4-1 in the FA Cup before losing in the second round to Scunthorpe United. This remains the only season in their history where Bedlington have progressed beyond the qualifying rounds of the FA Cup.
In the same season, the Terriers also became league champions after amassing a total of 101 points, and reached the final of the FA Vase, where they lost 1-0 to Tiverton Town.
On 4 November 2010, it was announced that American billionaire Robert Rich had become the new shirt sponsor of the club with his Rich Products brand.
Rich, the 488th richest man in the world, became involved after tracing his family tree back to the area.
Mr. Rich has since announced the shipment of a £30,000 electronic scoreboard to the club’s Welfare Park ground, and will be looking to turn the club shirts into a cult item for US sports fans.
Consett AFC History
Consett Football Club was founded in 1899 as Consett Celtic.
The club have played at Belle Vue Park since 1950. The ground had two stands, one at either side of the pitch. The fee of £1,150 that Charlton Athletic paid for Tommy Lumley (a North Eastern League record fee at the time) paid for one of them.
The opening game against Sunderland Reserves in August 1950 attracted what is still the grounds record gate of 7,000.
The club played local football until joining the Northern Alliance in 1919. Seven years later they switched to the North Eastern League, winning promotion from the Second Division at the first attempt.
From 1935-37 Consett spent two further seasons in the Northern Alliance before returning to the semi-professional North Eastern League. There they stayed until its demise in 1958, winning it in 1939-40, and its League Cup in 1951 and 1954.
After two seasons in the Midland League The Steelmen became founder members of the Northern Counties League in 1960, winning the title in 1962. They returned to the reformed North Eastern League in 1962, but it folded again two years later.
Consett joined the Wearside League, finishing runners-up in 1969 and 1970. The Sunderland Shipowners’ Cup and Monkwearmouth Charity Cup were both won in 1968.
The club have won the Durham Challenge Cup six times – in 1948, 1950, 1959, 1961, 1969, and, most recently, in 2007, when they beat Chester-le-Street Town 3-2 at Nissan.
The Steelmen won the Northern League Cup in 1994-95 when they beat Whitby Town 2-0 in the Final at Crook.
2007-08 rivalled 1976-77 as the club’s best-ever season. They were among the front-runners for the title until the turn of the year. But their record run in the FA Vase cost them dear. The games in hand proved too much for a relatively-small squad, and they had to settle for the runners-up spot behind Durham City.
The past two seasons Consett have finished runners up in the league and no doubt will be lifting the Northern League Championship in the not so distant future.